Registered NDIS Provider
Trusted by 20k+ Aussies

Who To Speak To When Dealing With Osteoarthritis

December 1, 2022

Are you suffering from joint pain that sometimes makes you unable to do the things you love and live your life freely? It could be because you have osteoarthritis or arthritis. 

If you have one of these conditions, or think you do, who should you talk to about it? 

Are there specialists for arthritis? Or should you go speak to a muscle specialist like a physiotherapist or sports doctor? In this article, we are going to walk through some of the causes, symptoms, and people you should talk to when living with one of these conditions. 

What’s the difference between arthritis and osteoarthritis? 

Both arthritis and osteoarthritis are commonly confused – probably because they both have the word “arthritis” in the name. But did you know that they are actually quite different? 

Osteoarthritis is a mechanical condition that is developed by years of wear and tear on your joints, which deteriorates cartilage. Usually this is something unavoidable by ageing. 

On the other hand, arthritis is a condition that is not caused by wear and tear, and instead is an inflammation that secretes substances into your joints, gradually destroying the structure. It can be of infectious, genetic, or metabolic origin. 

What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis 

If you think you’re suffering from osteoarthritis, you should consult your GP for a proper diagnosis. However, some of the symptoms include: 

  • Joint pain and stiffness 
  • Problems with moving your joints 
  • Clicking noises when moving your joint 
  • Grating sensations when moving your joints 
  • Less joint flexibility than you used to have 

Sometimes these symptoms might only exist after doing some sort of activity. If that’s the case it’s still a good idea to consult a GP so you can get the right diagnosis and treatment – they will send you to the right clinician for treating joints and muscles.   

What causes osteoarthritis 

There’s no specific cause for osteoarthritis other than stress on the joint. What does this look like? Well some of the causes include: 

  • Excessive weight 
  • Previous injuries 
  • Frequent kneeling, climbing or squatting
  • Heavy lifting without form 
  • Repetitive use of hands 

When should I see my doctor? 

As with any health problems you have, whenever you start having any concerns it’s better to be safe than sorry. When your concerns arise you should go see your GP so they can send you in the direction of someone whose work specialises in joints in order to treat your pain. 

Who can help with my joint pain or arthritis? 


The GP is a great first step when addressing your arthritis or osteoarthritis pain. A GP will be able to answer questions like “arthritis specialists near me” and who you can see for knee pain. Additionally, A GP can prescribe you appropriate pain medication to help with your aching joints. 


A physio will be able to help loosen you up and prescribe exercises that aren’t too difficult for you. Maintaining regular exercise will help reduce your pain and keep you healthy, but overdoing it will worsen your pain – a physio will give you the right solution. 


You might be wondering, “what does a rheumatologist do?” A rheumatologist is someone who deals with inflammatory autoimmune diseases in the muscles and joints, such as arthritis. If your joint pain is from disease, and not injury or stress to the joint, your GP will probably send you to a rheumatologist. 

Orthopaedic specialist  

What does an orthopaedic specialist do? Is orthopaedics different from rheumatology? Orthopaedic doctors handle disorders and injuries to the skeletal system, which includes joints, ligaments, and muscles. If you need an orthopaedic specialist, your GP will send you in the right direction. 

Friends and family 

You might be stressed in finding a joint and knee specialist near me, but don’t forget about what’s important. If you’re being diagnosed with one of these conditions for the first time it can be a difficult time of your life – don’t forget to speak to those closest to you. 

Mobility store team member 

If you’re suffering from joint pain, using the right mobility aid can significantly improve the quality of your life. Talk to a mobility equipment specialist in order to discuss what aid will work best for you.  

How can mobility aids help with your osteoarthritis and arthritis? 

Mobility aids can help with your condition by taking pressure off your aching joints. If you’re struggling to walk, walking aids like rollators, walking sticks and crutches can reduce your fear of falling and reduce your pain. If you have sore joints in your hands, a range of gripping aids will help with your day-to-day tasks. Speak to a mobility store team member to address the best solution for your needs. 

Where to buy aids to help with osteoarthritis & arthritis in Australia

A dedicated mobility store will have the widest and most helpful aids, so if you’re searching for osteoarthritis aids near me, or any mobility that matter, pop into The Mobility Store.

By visiting The Mobility Store today, you can get access to one of the most comprehensive ranges of mobility aids in Melbourne, Perth, and across all of Australia.  

While here, you will be able to speak to one of our friendly and highly-trained mobility team  who  will closely discuss your needs and match you with the best product. 

If you can’t make it into our store, you can give us a call and we can help you navigate our online shop, so that you can get your mobility aid sent to you from the comfort of your own home. 

Get in touch with us so that you can improve your mobility today.